St. Francis Medical Center is an acute care teaching hospital founded in 1874 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia as Trenton’s first hospital. St. Francis Medical Center is a 300-bed facility which includes a Regional Cancer Center; Compassionate Care Hospice; Behavioral Health; an accredited Sleep Disorders Center; and a designated primary stroke center.
St. Francis is located in the Villa Park section of Trenton. In 2013, it was named one of the top-10 safest hospitals in New Jersey by Consumer Reports, based on levels of infections, readmissions, communication, X-ray scanning, complications and mortality rates. It is a member of Trinity Health, one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation.